Season 1 of Miami Vice introduced the show's trademark style of highlighting important scenes with music, and featured 72 unique songs during the course of its 22 episodes. Most of the music is light, popular fare, comparable to the overall light tone of the season.
- Several songs are performed 'live' by a house band covering another musician's work; season 1 would be the only season where this occurs, as later it became common practice for the original artist to make a guest live appearance.
- Season 1 is the only season of Miami Vice that does not feature any music written/recorded exclusively for the show (not counting the house band performances mentioned above).
- Most songs used in an episode (two-hour): 8 - "Brother's Keeper"
- Most songs used in an episode (one-hour): 4 - "Heart of Darkness", "The Great McCarthy", "Nobody Lives Forever"
- Least songs used in an episode: 1 - "Golden Triangle (Part I)", "The Home Invaders"
- Most songs by the same artist: 2 - numerous artists